Using my homegrown sun-ripened tomatoes and pairing it with pine nuts makes for the most delicious and creamy sauce, yet is completely vegan! Perfectly paired with freshly cooked pasta, you could also use it over roasted vegetables, marinated cuts of meat, fish, or tofu, or spread it over freshly toasted bread to make a quick bruschetta.
Any left overs can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a week, or frozen for up to 3 months.
Makes 4 servings
- 2 large onions, finely diced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 500g tomatoes, roughly diced
- 1 bunch of fresh basil, leaves and stalks
- 50g pine nuts
- Cook the onions and oil together over a low heat till the onions become translucent and soft.
- Add the tomatoes and roughly chopped basil stalks, bringing to a light boil over a medium-low heat. Keep cooking till the volume has reduced by a third and the mixture becomes thicker, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, lightly toast your pine nuts under the grill for a few minutes, turning frequently to prevent them from burning. Keep them lightly golden to retain their natural sweetness.
- Add the basil leaves and pine nuts to the tomato mixture and blend till smooth.
Per serving: 163kcal/ 13.0g fat/ 1.2g saturated fat/ 8.3g carbohydrates/ 2.4g fibre/ 3.4g protein