An easy tray bake recipe I wrote for Charlotte Stirling-Reed which is suitable for the whole family. Make a large batch and have leftovers for your lunch the next day.
If you are short on time you could use frozen chopped peppers and onion to save a bit of preparation time. And if you don’t have fresh tomatoes you could substitute in 200g of chopped tinned tomatoes.
For young children the salt allowance is very low. Using a home made chicken marinade means that there are no hidden sugars or added salt. This means you may needed to add seasoning when you dish this up for adults.
- 2-3 onions, each cut into 8 wedges
- 2 large peppers, cut into 1cm slices
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 skinless and boneless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tin of unsalted black beans, rinsed and drained
- Rice or tortilla wraps
- Soured cream or yoghurt
- Fresh coriander
- Lime juice
- Fresh sliced chilli (optional for adults and older children)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C fan/ 220°C convection
- Mix the onion, pepper and tomatoes with the oil in a large baking tray. Bake in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the dried spices together and coat the chicken thighs and allow to marinade.
- After 5 minutes of cooking, add the beans and chicken to the tray and cook for a further 18-20 minutes till the chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear.
- Serve in a fajita rice bowl, or in wraps with your choice of toppings.
Per serving of fajita tray bake: 307kcal/ 14.5g fat/ 3.4g saturated fat/ 17.1g carbohydrates/ 6.9g fibre/ 24.3g protein