This bright and refreshing salsa can be loaded onto a stack of nachos, or used as a dip. It’s really easy to make but definitely best eaten on the same day as it is made. You can increase the spice level to your own taste, and keep it mild by leaving the fresh chilli out and just using a few jalapeños instead.
- 1/2 a red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 a chilli (or to taste), finely sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, deseeded
- 5-6 pickled jalapenos (or to taste)
- 1/2 a bunch of coriander
- 1 lime
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- In a large pestle and mortar, add the onion, chilli and a pinch of salt. Pound till the onions and chilli are half turned into a paste.
- Dice the tomatoes and roughly chop the jalapenos and coriander. Add to the onion mix with the olive oil and juice of half a lime.
- Mix together and check the seasoning, adding more lime juice or coriander to your taste.
- Serve with chips or vegetable crudites