Get a head start on the week by whipping up a batch of my Bakewell Breakfast Bars. Naturally sweetened using dates and cherries, these bars contain no added sugar. They also pack some wholesome goodness in the form of oats and wholemeal flour meaning they contain 5.5g of fibre per bar as well as some healthy fats from the seeds and nuts.
If you don’t have cherries you can substitute in other dried fruits such as apricots, raisins, sultanas or even blueberries – just watch out that the dried fruits don’t contain added sweeteners such as glucose or apple juice. You can also swap the almonds and almond butter for other nuts or nut butter, or top with coconut chips.
These are great for on-the-go in the morning or as an afternoon snack. Keep in an airtight Tupperware container for 4-5 days or alternatively freeze them for longer-term storage.
Makes 9 squares
- 100g pitted dates
- 25g linseeds
- 60g dried unsweetened cherries
- 50g skin-on almonds
- 75g butter or vegan butter
- 25g almond butter
- 100g wholemeal flour
- 100g oats
- 15g sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a 25x25cm baking tin with baking parchment.
- Soak the pitted dates in 50ml boiling water and the linseeds in 50ml tap water for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop the almonds and cherries by hand or using a food processor. If using a food processor remove once chopped.
- After the dates have soaked for 5 minutes transfer them to the food processor and blitz to a paste*
- Add the butter, almond butter and soaked linseeds with the water and blend together.
- Add the flour to form a sticky dough.
- Add the oats and chopped almonds and cherries and pulse until it just comes together. If you want a smoother consistency pulse for longer.
- Press into the lined tin and top with flaked almonds before baking for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before slicing.