These citrusy hot cross buns are plant-based using vegetable oil and dairy-free milk to create an enriched dough without the use of dairy and eggs.
Makes 9 buns
For the buns
- 2 oranges, zest and juice
- 100g sultanas
- 100g strong wholemeal flour
- 250g white strong flour
- 30g rapeseed oil, plus a little extra
- 7g yeast
- 30g caster sugar
- 50g mixed peel
- 2 tsp ground mixed spice
- 125ml milk, I have used unsweetened soya milk
For the crosses
- 5ml rapeseed oil
- 25g strong white flour
- 25-30ml water
For the glaze
- 50ml of reserved juice from the oranges
- 15g sugar
- pinch of ground mixed spice
- Zest and juice the oranges, reserving 50ml of the juice for later.
- Weigh out the remaining orange juice and top up to 100ml if needed with water. Add the sultanas and allow to soak while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- To a freestanding mixer bowl, add the flours, oil, yeast, sugar, mixed peel spices, soya milk and orange zest. Add in the orange juice and sultanas and knead for 5 minutes on a medium setting. Alternatively you can do this by hand but resist the temptation to add more flour – the dough should be ever so slightly sticky.
- Lightly great a large bowl the oil, place the dough in and cover. Allow to double in size for 1-2 hours.
- Knock the dough back and evenly divide into 9 balls.
- Line a baking tin with baking paper and arrange the balls in a 3×3 format.
- Cover and allow to double in size again, about 1-1.5 hours.
- Once the dough has almost fully risen, preheat the oven to 200°C fan/ 220°C convection.
- Prepare the batter by mixing the ingredients together to form a smooth pipeable mixture. Place into a piping bag.
- Once the oven it up to temperature, pipe crosses over the tops of your buns.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the glaze by heating the orange juice, sugar and spices together till the sugar has dissolved.
- Once the buns are cooked, generously glaze them, using all of the liquid.
- Remove the buns from the tray onto a wire cooking rack, removing the baking parchment as well.
- Best enjoyed fresh on the same day, or delicious toasted if a day or two old.
Per bun*: 254kcal/ 4.6g fat/ 0.4g saturated fat/ 46g carbohydrates/ 2.8g fibre/ 6.1g protein
*Analysis based on unsweetened soya milk