I adore asparagus season, fleeting as it is. Therefore having it for breakfast seems the perfect way to enjoy the season to the max.
I love having asparagus soldiers dipped in a soft-boiled egg. But if I have the time I love nothing more than griddling it over a hot pan and serving it with a beautifully soft poached egg and some sourdough. For me this is the perfect springtime brunch.
Seasonal British asparagus also emits 5 times less CO2 in comparison to those transported from abroad. Therefore if you want to reduce your food carbon footprint, enjoy British asparagus in its peak season from mid-April to the end of May.
- 1 small bunch of fresh British asparagus
- 1 slice of sourdough
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 egg
- Butter (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Prepare the asparagus by snapping off the woody ends
- Preheat a griddle pan
- Oil one side of the sourdough and place on the griddle pan to cook.
- Lightly oil the asparagus and place it in the griddle pan alongside the bread
- Before flipping the bread, oil the second side.
- Cook for a few minutes till charred
- Meanwhile, bring a pan of water to a gentle simmer, gently swirl and poach the egg for 3-4 minutes depending on your taste
- Assemble the asparagus on the sourdough, adding the optional knob of butter on the asparagus if desired before topping with the poached egg
- Season with salt and pepper to your taste and enjoy