I call these Cornish crab nachos, not just because the crab I buy comes from Cornwall, but because this recipe is inspire by one of the best dishes I ate while I was on holiday there. Trying to recreate the same taste and flavours has been a task I have happily venture on time and time again. Now all I can do it share this taste of summer holidays with you.
I make my own simple nachos by using tortillas bought from the shop. For those who want to, you can take another short cut by buying tortilla chips rather than making you own, but they are so simple, take next to no time and honestly make the difference. Well worth the extra prep time and effort, trust me!
The original crab nachos from Mackerel Sky Seafood Bar were simply served with pickled chillis and limed soured cream. Delicious as it was, I couldn’t help but add a few more plant-based foods for diversity. Feel free to add or take away to your likings, but I have settled on my flavour combo!
The tortilla chips were also deep fried, and completely delicious! However, I cannot be bothered with the faff of deep frying, and honestly, toasting them in a hot oven with a little olive oil gets them super crispy without most of the guilt!
Finally, if I can’t get pickled chillis, fresh will do, but they do add a little extra kick of flavour fresh chillis can’t quite give.
Serves 4 as a starter
- 8 wholemeal flour tortillas
- 30ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small avocado
- 1 plum tomato
- Pickled peppers e.g. jalapeños or roquito peppers or fresh chillis
- 80g soured cream
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 tub of white crab meat
- Fresh coriander
- Preheat the oven 180°C fan, 200°C convection
- Brush the top side of each tortilla with oil and stack them on top of each other. Cut the flour tortillas into 8 triangles a piece and lay in a single layer of 2 baking trays.
- Bake in the oven for 8 minutes till golden brown and crispy. Leave to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, chop the avocado into 1cm cubes. Deseed the tomato and dice into 1cm cubes.
- Mix the soured cream and lime together.
- Layer the crispy tortilla chips into a large bowl, scatter with the avocado, tomato, chillis, and crab meat.
- Drizzle the soured cream dressing over the top and scatter with fresh coriander