Delicious quesadillas packed full of plant-based protein from the black beans. Leave the skins on the sweet potatoes to maximise fibre content (over 17g per portion of quesadillas even before you’ve added the sides!) and reduce food waste.
- 2-3 sweet potatoes (total 300g), cut into 1/2 inch cubes with the skin on
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tin of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 handful of coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- 100g cheese such as Cheddar cheese (I have used a lighter cheddar to keep saturated fats lower), garted
- 3 wholemeal tortilla wraps
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Pickled onions
- Soured cream
- Tomato salsa
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan.
- Toss the sweet potato in the smoked paprika. Roast on a large baking tray for 15-20 minutes till soft. Once removed set the oven temperature to 200°C fan.
- Meanwhile, gently fry the onion in 1tsp olive oil for 10 minutes till soft and translucent. Add the garlic and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, half mash the black beans before adding the onion mixture, sweet potatoes, oregano, white pepper and coriander. Mix together, lightly mashing the potatoes.
- Take 1 tortilla wrap and brush with olive oil. Flip the tortilla wrap over and fill with 1/3 of the sweet potato mixture over one half of the wrap. Top with 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat with the remaining wraps and mixture.
- Place the filled wraps onto the baking sheet used to cook the potatoes, and top with a second baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes till golden brown.
- Serve cut into triangles with your choice of toppings.
Per quesadilla : 539kcal/ 18.1g fat/ 7.4g saturated fat/ 61.6g carbohydrates/ 17.5g fibre/ 24.5g protein