This is the recipes for those of you who already follow a vegan lifestyle. It’s also something for those who are doing Veganuary for the first time. It’s also perfect for anybody who is looking to increase their plant-based diet without necessarily being 100% vegan all the time.
This would work well with other vegetables such as leeks, celery, courgettes, or if mushrooms are not your thing use some fresh or tinned tomatoes which will cook into a tomato based sauce for the lentils to sit in.
Leaving the skin on the potatoes for the mash will make the dish quicker to prepare. You’ll also prevent any food waste as well as keep in the maximum fibre content.
- 60g puy lentils
- 35ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 180g mushrooms, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp vegan stock powder
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 450g potatoes, skin left on, washed and cut into large chunks
- 60ml soya milk
- Put the lentils into a pan and cover with plenty of cold water. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 15 minutes. Once cooked, drain the lentils reserving 2 tablespoons of cooking water.
- Meanwhile, bring a pan of water to the boil and cook the potatoes till soft.
- Separately, cook the onion in another pan with 10ml of olive oil over a low heat till they become soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute before adding the mushrooms in.
- Add the stock powder and thyme leaves and allow to cook till the mushroom juices evaporate. Add the cooked lentils and reserved cooking liquid to the mushroom mixture.
- Once the potatoes are cook, drain and allow to steam dry for 2 minutes. Heat the soya milk with the remaining olive oil in the pan used to cook the potatoes before adding them back in and mashing till smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan/ 200°C convection
- Assemble the filling into an ovenproof dish and layer the mash over the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes till the potato top turn crisp and golden brown.
Per serving: 513kcal/ 18.9g fat/ 2.9g saturated fat/ 66.6g carbohydrates/ 12.4g fibre/ 16.4g protein