At present I currently have courgettes coming out of my ears! 1 courgette plant would be sufficient to feed a small family with a steady supply of courgettes each week. So naturally we have 10 plants (not to mention the questionable marrow-looking plants) and I am spending all my free time trying to work out new ways of giving courgettes away to unwilling neighbours – they are all currently sick of courgettes too!
Making these super light fritters is the perfect way of using up a courgette or two. You simply do not realise you are eating courgette till you have wiped the plate clean.
- 1 medium courgette, around 180g, grated
- 1 medium egg
- 50g wholemeal flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 50ml milk
- 10 mint leaves, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 40g flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 70g feta cheese, crumbled
- Chilli flakes to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil to fry
Options to serve with:
- Sour cream
- Poached egg
- Smoked salmon
- Combine the flour and baking powder together in a large bowl and mix. Season with pepper to taste.
- Add the milk and egg to make a batter. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Heat a pan with 1/2 tsp olive oil and add a spoonful of batter into the pan, spreading them out so each round does not touch another. You should be able to make around 6 fritters in total.
- Fry each fritter for 2 minutes per side till golden brown. Repeat till all the batter is used. If you are making a larger quantity keep them warm on a tray in a pre-heated oven set to 100°C.
- Serve hot with your toppings of choice.
Per 3 fritters: 265kcal/ 12.3g fat/ 7.1g saturated fat/ 23.6g carbohydrates/ 4.3g fibre/ 15.0g protein