Using my principles of sustainable nutrition, here is a delicious recipe incorporating using more of the food we grow and reducing food waste, eating more plant-based proteins, cooking in bulk, and diversifying the foods we grow and eat. Added all together each serving of my Roasted Harissa Cauliflower and Chickpea Traybake with Herbed Spelt provides you with a whopping 19g fibre and 22g plant-based protein.
- 1 large cauliflower head, leaves and all (1.1kg), cut up into chunks, and larger leaves sliced in half through the stem
- 3 carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- 80g harissa paste
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tins of chickpeas, drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 300g spelt
- 50g flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 30g chives, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp tahini
- Juice of half a lemon
- 4 tbsp of pomegranate seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan/ 200°C convection while you prep the cauliflower, carrots and onions. Mix these veg together with the harissa paste and 2 tbsp olive oil. Spread out over 2 trays and roast for 20 minutes.
- Mix the remaining oil and chickpeas together, and add to the trays, mixing the partially cooked veg.
- Meanwhile, cook the spelt by bringing it to a boil in a large pan of water, and then allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes depending on the type of spelt you have. It should remain al dente in the middle. Once cooked, allow to cool slightly before adding the herbs in.
- Make a dressing by mixing the tahini and lemon juice together. It will become thick, so thin with water to a consistency of double cream, or your preference.
- Serve everything together, topped with the tahini dressing and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds over the top.
Per serving: 487kcal/ 10g fat/ 1.4g saturated fat/ 68g carbohydrates/ 19g fibre/ 22g protein